[CentOS] Unable to execute a script , Permission denied

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Tue May 25 12:57:41 UTC 2010

On 5/25/2010 6:20 PM, Jakub Jedelsky wrote:
> On 25.5.2010 14:27, Jatin Davey wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a linux box which has CentOS running in it. I logged into the box
>> using root and wrote a script in the /home/proc_threads directory. saved
>> the file and quit. I changed the file permissions such that any user
>> could execute it using the "chmod 777 filename" command.
>>
>> When i log out and log in as a non-root user i was not able to execute
>> the script though.
>>
>> Could some one please help in this regard. I am a newbie to linux.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jatin
>>

> Hi,
>
> have another users access to /home/proc_threads directory? :) Don't
> you call any functions from script which can be executed only by root..?
> Send us the exact error which you get after execute your script as an
> user.. If it is a bash script, you can debug it with "-x" option..
>
> Excuse my english :)
>
> Jakub J.

Here is the script that i am trying to execute as a non-root user:

#!/bin/sh
ps -C java -o thcount > /home/proc_threads/tempfile
awk ' { total += $1 } END { print total } ' /home/proc_threads/tempfile

here is the output when i try to execute as a non-root user:

./javathreads: line 2: /home/proc_threads/tempfile: Permission denied
awk: cmd. line:1: fatal: cannot open file `/home/proc_threads/tempfile'
for reading (Permission denied)

Thanks
Jatin