[CentOS] Installing from USB flash drive

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 19:37:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 14:57 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Bowie wrote:
> > m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >> Bowie wrote:
> <snip>
> >> Once it's on, it's fairly stable... though the update of the kernel does
> >> *not* always work correctly. With nearly 200 machines that I'm rolling
> >> out
> >> updates to, not infrequently, I'll see that the default= line in
> >> /etc/grub.conf is reset... to the last kernel,rather than the current,
> >> or
> >> to the debug kernel. I always have to check to verify that it's pointing
> >> correctly before rebooting.
> >>
> > And, in fact, that is exactly what happened.  The default= line was set
> > to 1, so it booted the old kernel instead of the new one.  Other than
> > that, it seems to be fine.  I wonder what causes that?  I've never
> > noticed that behavior in my other systems.  (But maybe I should go check
> > now...)
>
> I have *no* idea. I've even seen it pointing to 2, or 4. Anyone here have
> any idea why it wouldn't *always* change the default to 0?
>
>        mark
----
Where did you get the kernel from?  There is a reason why I ask this
because all installed kernels I have installed that were built by CentOS
do the right thing.  As in update the boot sequence for you.

The exception is The Upstream Real Time Kernel does not do this and is
docoed.

Now the PAE Kernel I can not speak for because I do not use it.  I only
utilize the pae form for 32 bit under the RT Kernel which pae is built
into for 32bits.

John