[CentOS] Replacement tape drive configuration

Hugh E Cruickshank

hugh at forsoft.com
Thu May 27 22:14:28 UTC 2010

CentOS 4.8

Hi All:

We recently had a Sony SDX-500V tape drive fail on one of our servers
running CentOS 4.8. I have now replaced it with a spare SDX-500C. The
problem that I am having now is that the failed drive had ceased
responding to SCSI commands and we have since rebooted the system
which resulted in the tape drive being removed from our current
hardware configuration and the system does not recognize the new
tape drive.

I know that I can just reboot the system and kudzu will add the tape
drive back in during the boot process however I was wondering if it
would be possible to manually run kudzu to add the drive or am I just
"borrowing trouble" by trying to do this?

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com