[CentOS] Broken repo / mirrors?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 29 12:32:43 UTC 2010

> On Sat, 29 May 2010, David wrote:
>
> > Now I'm able to update device-mapper on i386 machine, BTW please find
> > this post..
> >
> > "[CentOS] metadata cache corruption: cleared -> fixing in progress"
>
> Thank you for pointing people at a solution that should
> largely (mod residual mirror skew and local 'dinking' on yum
> configurations) work at this point, David
>
> The information relayed through the day in IRC and on the main
> mailing list reflected what was known as it was known, what
> was likely, and how it was being approached.
>
> In back control channels, the CentOS team was studying the
> matter, testing retrievals, passing updates to public facing
> parts of the group, and updating findings and possible fixes
> (and thus eta to convergences). This was available and passed
> along to public facing team members as the earth rotated
> through the day.  Let's consider it an unplanned trial shift
> in approach toward more openness on matters which have
> historically been less visible, and see how it worked out
>

> There were at most handful of 'non-insider' posters today
> (Heller, Roth, Cox, Nichols, Charm) and I think three relevant
> bugs, which bugs should all be addressed by now.  As one
> person noted: 'The world was not coming to an end' but I see:
>  	16:58:06 UTC Heller
>  		"*ALL* of the public mirrors are broken"
>
>  	later 01:39:51 UTC next UTC day:
>  		"*I* never claimed it was the end of the
>  	world.  Just noticed a problem and posted a question to the
>  	list about it"
>
> <dryly>and this knowledge of ALL mirrors with just a dial-up
> connection</>  That is sure not how I read his Chicken Little
> assertion;  I see a cry of 'Wolf' and alarmism as a reward

Since it is not uncommon for me (on dialup) to experience all sorts of
network issues (duh), I get to watch as yum (which is not interurptable
and seems to assume that any network issues are always with the remote
side and never with the local side -- yum seems not to have been coded
with dialup in mind) downloads from each server in turn and seeing the
download fail.  *Usually* it fails on a few servers and eventually
completes the download on one.  When all of the public mirrors (on the
mirrorlist yum fetched) failed *with the same error* I figured that
something was wrong somewhere, so I reported it to the Centos list.
*I* was not alarmed or thinking the world was coming to an end or
anything dire.  Just wanted to let people know there seemed to be a
problem.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration