[CentOS] which gcc package?

Sat May 8 13:23:32 UTC 2010
Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net>

Hello.
I tried to compile a program (plugger), but I don't have *any* sort of
compiler installed. This is on Cent5.3.

So, I used Package Manager, concentrating on gcc. But, it seems that I
have a choice, thus:
gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.i386
gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.i386
gcc-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2.i386
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5.i386
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5_4.1.i386
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5_4.2.i386
... along with some others (Fortran, Ada, Java, and Obj-C).

I'm thinking that I need only 1 'flavor' (say, gcc-4.1.2-46.el5.i386 and
gcc-c++-4.1.2-46.el5.i386) - correct?

I tried a google.com/linux search - the only link that seemed helpful
was  http://gcc.gnu.org/  -- where I found only this:
"The core distribution includes the C language front end as well as the
shared components." I have no clue which package would be the FE, and
what the shared components are. Perhaps 1 of those packages is the core?