[CentOS] Having trouble with LDAP Authentication...

Tue May 25 21:16:45 UTC 2010
Andy Akins <andy at egovtn.org>

I¹ve google and searched, and have had very little luck...

I have:

1. Installed all the packages.
2. Configured and have running OpenLDAP.
3. Migrated my passwd/shadow/group/hosts files into the directory
4. Tested the directory using ldapsearch
5. Installed LAM (web interface to LDAP authentication)
6. Added a user using LAM.
7. Confirmed user is in directory.
8. Confirmed user is not in /etc/passwd
9. Confirmed using ³getent passwd | grep username² that the user is listed.
10. Confirmed using ³getent passwd² shows two records for each user except
ldap-only users (one for /etc/passwd, one for LDAP).

However,

    ³id username²

Returns unknown user

And trying to log in as username at either the terminal or ssh fails, and
upon examining the logs, the error message says unknown user.

I configured /etc/pam.d/system-auth using authcongfig-tui, adding only the
pam_mkhomedir.so line (and I tried it without that line as well).

Everything seems right ­ but its not working. Can anyone offer any
suggestions as to where I should be looking? If necessary, I¹ll post my
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf, /etc/openldap/ldap.conf, /etc/pam.d/system-auth,
and /etc/nsswitch.conf files ­ I just didn¹t want to send them if not
necessary.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
Andy Akins
Director of Development

NICUSA, Tennessee ­ A Partnership with Tennessee.gov
Phone: (615) 313-0305
Email: andy at egovtn.org

Visit www.tn.gov - the official website of the State of Tennessee

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email and any attachments are confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient, you do not have permission to disclose,
copy, distribute, or open any attachments. If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by returning
it to the sender and deleting this copy from your system.
  Thank you. NIC, Inc., Tennessee