[CentOS] bogus bond0 device showing up in /proc/net/dev

Fri May 28 17:42:18 UTC 2010
Tom Georgoulias <tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com>

I'm running into a situation where a bogus bonded interface named
"bond0" is being created, in addition to the desired "bond2" interface.
  Can anyone confirm this?  Anyone know why it's happening or what I do
to get rid of it?  I wanted to start my numbering scheme at 2 instead of
0, which I didn't think would be a problem.

As you can see, I have no reference to bond0 in any of my configs:

# grep bond /etc/modprobe.conf
alias bond2 bonding

# ifconfig -a | grep bond
bond0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
bond2     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond2
DEVICE=bond2
IPADDR=XXXXXXXXX
NETMASK=XXXXXXXX
NETWORK=XXXXXXXXX
USERCTL=no
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
BONDING_OPTS="mode=1 miimon=100"

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2
DEVICE=eth2
MASTER=bond2
SLAVE=yes
HWADDR=XXXXXXXXXXXX
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3
DEVICE=eth3
MASTER=bond2
SLAVE=yes
HWADDR=XXXXXXXXXX
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no

The bond0 interface isn't doing any harm, as far as I can tell, except
adding bogus data to ifconfig output and extra, useless charts in our
system performance monitoring tools.

# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.4.0 (October 7, 2008)

Bonding Mode: load balancing (round-robin)
MII Status: down
MII Polling Interval (ms): 0
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond2
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.4.0 (October 7, 2008)

Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup)
Primary Slave: None
Currently Active Slave: eth2
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100