[CentOS] Upgrading to 2.6.32

Sun May 2 01:14:48 UTC 2010
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM,  <maillists0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> maillists0 at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to upgrade a 5.4 box with the 2.618 kernel to a shiny new 2.6.32
>>> kernel. Anyone done it? Is it possible? Are there gotcha's to watch out for?
>>
>> So why not try RHEL v6 beta?
>>>
>>> Any advice is appreciated. A link to a decent howto would be awesome.
>>>

> The box is about 1200 miles away and I figure I might as well give this a
> try before spending the money on remote hands. Plus my boss doesn't like the
> license stuff with Redhat.

I hope you're planning on trying this on a local test machine or a VM
specifically setup for this before trying it remotely.  Also, make
sure you have a backup plan, such as remote access to the console, and
hopefully another machine with a PXE boot to be able to reinstall the
OS or boot to a rescue disk.