[CentOS] Benchmark Disk IO

Wed May 5 16:55:01 UTC 2010
Dominik Zyla <gavroche at gavroche.pl>

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 05:17:53PM +0100, Matt Keating wrote:
> What is the best way to benchmark disk IO?
>
> I'm looking to move one of my servers, which is rather IO intense. But
> not without first benchmarking the current and new disk array, To make
> sure this isn't a full waste of time.

Try to run the same IO operations as your production server is running.
Bonnie++ could be good application for benchmarking. Also run some
parallel rsync, rm, find, etc proccesses.

It's good habbit to monitor machines with cacti or something like that.
After benchmarks, you can compare cacti graphs.

--
Dominik Zyla