[CentOS] Install of 5.4 i386 formatting is very slow

Thu May 6 20:25:35 UTC 2010
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 02:16:05PM -0400, Jason Pyeron wrote:
> It is writing an inode every 10 seconds. (1621 inodes in total)
>
> It is a recent Seagate sata HD.
>
> MB=Jetway J7F5M1G2E-VHE-PB

Is this one of the new 4096-bytes-per-sector Seagate drives? If so,
you need to do some research around the 'net to find recommended
procedures for aligning partitions. without partitions properly
aligned (so that they start on a 4096-byte boundary) things are
said to get veeeerrrrrrry sloooooooowwwwwww (though I have no personal
experience of it, so I can't speak to HOW slow.)

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.