[CentOS] installing gtkmm

Fri May 7 04:16:05 UTC 2010
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Ming-ching Chiu <percle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been building a gtkmm project on ubuntu and things run smoothly. Now i have to move the project to CentOS 5.4. I set up rpm forge and installed gtkmm. Turns out that the package on rpmforge is too old that my project doesn't compile. I wonder if there is other way to get newer version of gtkmm and all its dependencies instead of manually install them?

(a) You can use "alien" and convert the .deb package to .rpm package
and try installing it - caveat not recommended but worth a try
(dependencies from the "other" distro can be a nightmare to resolve).

(b) build the package from source.  many tar ball nowadays come with a
.spec file to build the RPM package.

HTH
-- Arun Khan