[CentOS] disable autofs timeout

Sun May 9 13:49:18 UTC 2010
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does setting the autofs timeout=0 create a permanent mount?
>
> What I'm trying to do is get the best of both world;
>
> 1) Have a persistent mount so that users can use autocompletion.
> 2) utilize the benefits of autofs so that when an NFS resource becomes
> unavailable, the system doesn't hang.
>
> I've tried a timeout of 0 but it doesn't seem to work.

I can't see that making an autofs mount permanent will help ...

If the NFS server goes away and it is mounted on your client (via the
automounter or statically), the client will still hang on accessing the
mount point.

If you want to 'see' all the automount mount points, then start the
automounter with BROWSE_MODE="yes" (in /etc/sysconfig/autofs)

James Pearson