[CentOS] mail server best practices question

Mon May 10 15:58:19 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/10/2010 8:19 AM, Ryan Manikowski wrote:
> On 5/10/2010 8:02 AM, Brian McKerr wrote:
>> I use Mailscanner with postfix and Mailwatch to manage quarantine etc;
>>
>> http://mailscanner.info/
>>
>> On the backup MX, I just use postfix and some basic anti-spam stuff.
>> Very little gets through and even less gets through to the primary. I
>> am aware that some spam techniques go straight to the backup MX
>> because most people don't set it up quite as well as the primary. YMMV.
>>
>> I also used to use greylisting, which does reduce spam, but,
>> unfortunately it also reduces valid mail ;-) In the end I'd rather
>> suffer a few spams getting through compared to the delayed receipt of
>> important emails.
>
> Another vote here for Mailscanner + Postfix. Add a few RBL's into your
> postfix config and spam will be at a minimum.

Or, if you like sendmail, MimeDefang works well to combine all the usual
milter operations so you can control them with a simple perl snippet.
Rpmforge has MimeDefang and Clamav packages that work together with a
simple permission change so it is easy to stay up to date.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com