[CentOS] mail server best practices question

Mon May 10 23:30:54 UTC 2010
Dan Irwin <dan at jackies.com.au>

Running a backup or secondary MX at this point is largely a waste of
time. The only thing a backup MX gets you is an increase in spam.

Most MTAs will retry sending every couple of hours. So if your MX is
down for a while, it's not really a big issue.

I run a cluster of sendmail servers (at MX 0) with spamassassin and
clamav, and it works quite well. Provides redundnacy and scalability,
without the nonsense of a backup mx.

The last "backup" MX I ran was probably retired at least two years ago,
and even then it was well past pointless and irrelevant.

Cheers,

Dan