[CentOS] Text file manipulation in CentOS?

Wed May 12 21:40:31 UTC 2010
Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 14:17, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/2010 3:53 PM, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>>
>>    Almost any introductory book on Linux/UNIX that covers the standard
>> command line utilities (sed, awk, greg, egrep, tr, cut, etc) could
>> have answered the questions he had.
>
> I don't think you've actually looked at current introductory books.
> Everyone tries to combine the tutorial with the reference these days and
> ends up with something that doesn't quite work for either purpose.  And
> none deal with the fact that you have to understand what the shell is
> going to do with your command line before you will be very good at
> understandin a man page for any other tool.
>
>> Perl's slogan: There's more than one way to do it.
>
> Yes, but if you start wrong you'll probably end up wrong.

Possible. But hand-holding can only go so far.

>> oh, I forgot, emacs macros can do this too. Don't know of any gui
>> tools that are worth having.
>
> Try eclipse sometime.

For mangling text??!! I think your example is way off topic for this
thread. Or for programming in a large environment? Possible, but not
pertinent to this email thread.

Ken