[CentOS] upgrading to a minor release 4.1 to 4.2

Fri May 14 11:01:43 UTC 2010
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 14 May 2010 05:37, sheraz naz <sheraznaz at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to upgrade a system running 4.1 to 4.2, but before I do I want to
> list out all the packages that will be updated/installed/removed. I can run
> up2date -l to get a list of updates but does that show packages that need to
> be installed and removed as well or just the updates?
>
> Second, how would I go about upgrading 4.1 to 4.2 instead of 4.8 (i.e.
> latest update).
>
> Unfortunately I don't have access to centos 4.x at the moment.and googling
> just centos 4.1 to 4.2 is not bringing up relevant information.
>
> Thanks
> Sheraz

One comment and one question.....

Comment) The .x is just a baseline at the time but yum/centos doesn't
have the concept of .x minor versions as such (to my understanding)
but rather it is a baseline change with possibly some new/changed
aspects (such as introduction of postgres84 in the 5.5 case or ext4
tech preview in 5.2 or something). As such trying to stay on an old .x
will possibly result in missed security patches and so on as those
parts of the mirrors potentially might not get updated. Rather than
Centos 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 3.1,3.2,5.1 and so on from a package mangement
(read yum) perspective it is pretty much centos 3, 4, 5 and soon (ish)
6. This would be why in the centos-announce mailing list, as an
example, errata are not referred to as centos 4.3, centos 5.1 and so
on but there just centos 3, centos 4 or centos 5.

Question) 4.2 was a long... long... time ago - why not move to the
current centos 4 baseline of 4.8 if you are unable to upgrade to the
next major centos release (5)?

BTW someone please correct me on the comment if I am mistaken.... but
I recall a discussion similar to this last week over complaints of
EPEL tracking rhel and needing 5.5 for some packages but centos being
at a 5.4 baseline still....

James