[CentOS] sendmail many emails

Sat May 15 17:01:04 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I was getting MANY emails from XXX.hinet.net - kind of filled my mqueue
> directory.
> I stopped sendmail. removed all the files in mqueue, added to sendmail
> access a REJECT for hinet.net
> This certainly seems to help - but is that the correct way to take care
> of this sort of thing?

You probably need to do something more drastic like setting up spam/virus
scanning and maybe graylisting.  This sort of thing happens a lot.  But, unless
these were addressed to actual users, they shouldn't have been accepted and
queued anyway.  Are you running a relay that accepts anything for a domain and
forwards it?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com