[CentOS] Networking setup/help

Wed May 19 14:10:32 UTC 2010

> I had to install 5.5 from scratch and now I have to rebuild my home
> networking system.

Oy!

> I haven't had to mess with this stuff in over 5+ years and I'm sure there
> may be better ways of doing it now.

Unless you're dealing with many systems all the time, that's the way it
always is. I got openLDAP (gag!) working in '06, and upgraded in '08, but
I'd have to do heavy research to redo that today.

> My liunx box acts as firewall/gateway for 2 other pcs. I was using a
> script from the Linux IP Masquerade HOWTO with ddclient (since I have a
> dynamic ip).

Have you run Bastille on the firewall/gateway?

> Also, I don't think I need a full name server. Can I get by with a caching
> nameserver?

I never set one up, and have been meaning to for a while. I'm interested
in the answer.

       mark