[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Thu May 20 14:58:07 UTC 2010
Ryan Manikowski <jeenam at gmail.com>

On 5/20/2010 10:45 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:21:51AM -0400, Ryan Manikowski wrote:
>

>> Have you run 'testparm' to verify the samba configuration does not
>> contain any errors that are preventing the smbd daemon from loading?
>>
> I had not. Doesn't seem to tell us anything:

<snip>

As your config appears to be clean and free of errors that would prevent
smbd from starting have you...

...tried starting smbd from the command line NOT using the init scripts?

Make sure nmbd is started first: nmbd -D

Try using the -i and -F flag to start smbd:

e.g. smbd -iF

This will start smbd interactively, log to standard out, and prevent the
smbd process from daemonizing and thus keeping it active in the terminal
from which it was launched. Combine this with strace to see what exactly
the process is doing and why it is failing.

e.g. strace smbd -iF

Prior to doing any of this ensure that there are no other services
listening on the ports samba uses:

netstat -pan | grep 139

--
	 Ryan Manikowski