[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Fri May 21 01:30:43 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 06:17:10PM -0700, Benjamin Franz wrote:

> Have you looked in /var/log/messages for errors from smbd? I don't
> remember seeing that anywhere in your T/S list.

Yup. I've grepped all the logs. Nothing from smbd at all. I also enabled
kern and daemon logs, just in case those would catch something messages
wasn't. What they've caught isn't anything from smbd.

I'm leaning towards it being, as suggested by someone, somehow symptom of a
hardware problem, since it seems we've run through everything else remotely
possible. I should have memtest86 results from a colleague soon. That it's
been such an isolated problem, so consistent in its behavior, has made me
think it must be something in the OS configuration. But that hypothesis is
about played out.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Whit