[CentOS] Can't umount flash drive because an application has it locked

Fri May 21 04:35:40 UTC 2010
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

On 05/20/2010 09:00 PM, MHR informed us:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Steven Vishoot<sir_funzone at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>
>> to me it sounds like the zip program is culprit since it might still holding onto the flash file system. did you try fuser -l on the flash drive and see what has a hold on it. just a thought.
>>

> I'd have to check next time on both, but unless the zip program uses a
> daemon, which I've never heard of, I wouldn't think it's that.  Didn't
> try fuser (or lsof).  Will next time.
>
> Thanks.
>
> mhr

Another thought:
I have been known to cd to the directory on the flash drive containing
the files to be copied, usually when I'm selectively copying a number of
files.  Advantage is that you can easily copy/paste the file name(s).
Down side is that you've got to remember to cd out of the flash drive
before it'll umount.