[CentOS] raid resync speed? - laptop drive-

Fri May 21 14:48:16 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/13/2010 1:42 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/5/13 Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com>:
>> Has anything changed in updates that would affect md raid1 resync speed?
>>   I regularly swap a 750G drive and resync to keep an offsite copy and
>> haven't paid enough attention to known when things changed but it seems
>> to take much longer to sync than it did months ago, even if I unmount
>> the partition and stop most other processes that might compete with it.
>>

> well, try this:
>
> http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/25/increase-the-speed-of-linux-software-raid-reconstruction/

OK, I can get a full-size Seagate 750G to resync at about 40M/s which
easily completes in a workday.  But now what I really want to do is use
a laptop size 'WD Scorpio blue' drive which claims to have the same
sector count but will only sync at about a tenth of the speed.  It does
say it uses 'advanced format', which I think means 4k sectors.  Should
that make a difference?  Read speed tests show about the same as the
desktop drives but writes are much slower.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com