[CentOS] OT: Strange Email Problem

Fri May 21 18:55:33 UTC 2010
Susan Day <suzieprogrammer at gmail.com>

Replies to all replies:

Richard asks:

> is the "domain you control" on the same machine as the form
> submission site?

Yes.

> was this machine recently upgraded to 5.5?
>  [the 5.5 upgrade included sendmail and as a
>   result could have had an impact on your sendmail.cf
>   (depending on what your sendmail.mc looked like).]

No.

> In general, the place to start is the maillog on the site with the
> form.

Here are what the logs have to say:

@400000004bf6cfc4383bc65c delivery 6217: deferral:
CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)/
@400000004bf6cfc4383c5eb4 status: local 0/10 remote 0/255
@400000004bf6d51e34d61d8c starting delivery 6218: msg 97881531 to remote
suzieprogrammer at gmail.com
@400000004bf6d51e34d6449c status: local 0/10 remote 1/255
@400000004bf6d51e37303e14 starting delivery 6219: msg 97881555 to remote
suzieprogrammer at gmail.com
@400000004bf6d51e373078ac status: local 0/10 remote 2/255
@400000004bf6d51e373143cc delivery 6218: deferral:
CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)/
@400000004bf6d51e373241b4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/255
@400000004bf6d51e37807d0c delivery 6219: deferral:
CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3)/
@400000004bf6d51e3780bf74 status: local 0/10 remote 0/255

> Sounds like your MTA isn't getting out to the 'Net. Could a firewall rule
> have been changed somewhere?

No. I've been able to get email to the account I control through the same
firewall.

> Do try to telnet to port 25 for google mail, and see if it'll talk to you,
> or if you can get through at all.

I've never been able to successfully do that, but the same form gets the
email to the address I control.

Whit asks:

> Do you know that it's going out with valid headers, a "legal" helo
address,
> and the like? Many mail systems will use these as reasons to reject
> connections when they're wrong. In the case of bad helo values, often it
> won't get as far as the spam filter, since that's sent through before the
> message.

Yes. It goes through qmail, and everything worked before.

> If stuff worked before but now doesn't, another question is whether your
> sending IP is in a range recently blacklisted, if your ISP has been
hosting
> spammers.

I checked the blacklists and all looks well.

Akemi asks:

> Which MTA are you using? sendmail, postfix, ...

qmail

Mr. Gabriel asks:

> Also, do you use srv records? Has anything here changed?

Don't use srv

TIA,
Susan