[CentOS] OT: Strange Email Problem

Sat May 22 13:42:06 UTC 2010
Chris Geldenhuis <chris.gelden at iafrica.com>

Susan Day wrote:
> With regard to Richard's comments, I will get in touch with my server
> farm (or garden, small company) that handles the same.
>
> Regarding Simon's comments, these DNS packets have got to be teeny
> tiny. This is plain text and very little of that. Your response was
> full of terms I didn't understand and of course can look up and will
> if necessary, but I think you're seeing a size that isn't merited.
> I'll await your response before proceeding.
> TIA,
> Susan

Hi Susan,

The records that Richard was talking about was not that of your actual
mail, but the Domain Name Service (DNS) records required to find the
destination server and for that server to look up your server to verify
that the mail comes from a valid address. I recall a discussion earlier
this month about the root DNS servers being updated to a new version of
DNS software that would increase the size of the DNS records. This would
then take a while to filter through the "tree" of DNS servers and
eventually software that could not handle these larger records would fail.

I hope that this sheds some light.

ChrisG