[CentOS] Is every CentOS release supported for 7 years?

Sat May 22 20:47:45 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM, William Warren
> <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
> > On 5/22/2010 3:39 PM, Aniruddha wrote:
> >> Coming from Gentoo ->  Debian I am to trying to understand the way
> >> CentOS works. In Debian very little happens in stable releases and you
> >> use apt-get update to apply security updates and apt-get dist-upgrade
> >> for a major upgrade.
> >>
> >> In CentOS there is an yum-security plugin which allows you to install
> >> security updates only. If I understand correctly the preferred way
> >> though is to do at least an yum upgrade every 6 months in order to
> >> upgrade to a point release.
>
> I can imagine this works fine with vanilla CentOS, however is this
> still possible when you enable third party repositories such as epel?

Yes.  You do have to be careful and properly setup priorities, etc. and
be carefull about what you install from the third party repositories and
which ones you have enabled when you do a generic 'yum update'.
Generally you only enable third party repositories when you do an 'yum
install <some specific package from the third party repository>' and
have them all disabled when you do a 'yum update':

yum --enablerepo=epel install wine
yum --disablerepo=epel update
yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install mplayer