[CentOS] SATA hotswap

Tue May 25 13:46:01 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On 05/21/2010 03:12 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> > I didn't need to do anything special when inserting disks into my
> > (cheap) 4x 2.5" SATA hot swap bay.  Just inserted the drive and the
> > HAL/udev deamon pick it up all on its own. My motherboard is a
> > nVidia-based:
>
> What sata 4 bay cage are you using ?

This one from NewEgg:

SNT SNT-SATA1842B 4 x 2.5" HDD in 1 x 5.25" bay SAS / SATA 2.5" Hot Swap Backplane RAID cage
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993017

It takes up a single 5.25" bay, has a 4-pin molex power connector, and
holds 4 2.5" SATA drives, with front panel access.

I have two Seagate 180GB (ST9160827AS) drives (RAID1) and a Hitachi 120GB
(HTS54161) drive (backup disk). The 4th bay is presently empty.

(my Motherboard is this:
ASRock K10N78 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157159
I have a Semperon 1-core processor and 2gig of RAM.
)

Just set the BIOS to 'AHCI' mode, added irqpoll to the kernel params
(needed to get the kernel to properly talk to the controller),
and it just works, both CentOS 4.8 (32-bit [inherited from my previous
PIII system]) and CentOS 5.x (64-bit xen).