[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4

Tue May 25 22:24:09 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/25/2010 5:09 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 06:05:34PM -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
>
>> where "smb" is RH's version and /etc/init.d/smb is Cent's. I can't quite
>> imagine that a difference between overwriting or appending path.txt is at
>> the root of what I'm seeing though.
>
> Correction: that wasn't a virgin version of Cent's. More in a moment.

Try changing:
daemon smbd $SMBDOPTIONS
  strace -f smbd $SMBDOPTIONS
and run it in the way that fails.  If there's not enough left on the
screen to see why it died, try
  strace -f smbd $SMBOPTION 2>/tmp/smblog
and look at the file reading backwards to find a fatal error.

I'm still very curious about why it would work when run with 'sh'.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com