[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4 - it's that fine SELinux

Wed May 26 00:25:53 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 07:55:12PM -0400, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:33:53PM -0700, Jerry Franz wrote:
>
> > Are you running with SELinux on?

You were right Jerry!

echo 0 > /selinux/enforce

and then /etc/init.d/smb restart works! Thank you much Jerry!

Now why doesn't that fine piece of government work, selinux, do something
standard and useful like log when it's instituting breakage?? I get that
it's doing it "for your own good," but what good is it if it doesn't tell
you what it's doing? The _first place_ I looked when we ran into this
problem was the logs. Nada. Zilch.

Programs that try to be smarter than the root user are annoying enough.
Programs that do that and don't try to educate the root user while they're
doing it are worse. There are standards for logging. Selinux is ignoring
them. If it's going to be breaking stuff by default, and failing to log the
breakage by default, that's not remotely good. Yet that's how CentOS
installs it. Are we downstream of some Redhat brilliance here?

Pardon my English,
Whit