[CentOS] Odd failure of smbd to start from init.d - CentOS 5.4 - it's that fine SELinux

Wed May 26 03:36:59 UTC 2010
Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com>

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 09:09:33PM -0500, Jay Leafey wrote:

> In your case, there should have been AVC errors showing up in the
> audit log related to smbd.  Using restorecon to fix up the security
> context on the files in /etc/samba might have resolved the issue
> quickly... but I guess the trick is having run across it before, eh?

Thoughtful advice. Thanks. Is there some method to duplicate basic
configuration files across selinux servers without running restorecon for
each set of files that's copied over - that is, to copy them with their
selinux labels intact?

>From this limited example, it looks like selinux gets in the way of standard
administrative tasks, yet wouldn't be in the way at all of anyone who'd
acquired a shell within which they could run another shell and with that
call whatever program they like.

I was just reading a review by Freeman Dyson of physicist Steven Weinberg's
new book, Lake Views. Dyson is impressed by Weinberg's argument that for
defense we often go to "glorified technologies" which don't really do for us
what we expect. For example, mounted knights, which were the expensive high
tech approach to war of their time, more often than not lost to peasants
with pikes. The list goes on from there, right up to the present.

In it's modest way, selinux would fit right into that record. It's complex
and shiney and expensive to maintain (hell, it's competitor is even called
"AppArmour" - armour?). But is it as essentially useless in real combat as
mounted knights were against a line of men with spears? Or as today's
wishful and extravagant missile defense?

Best,
Whit