[CentOS] Broken repo / mirrors?

Fri May 28 15:58:06 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Friday 28 May 2010, Robert Heller wrote:
> > I fixed my earlier problem with a 'yum clean all', now I am getting this
> > problem:
> >
> > 'Package does not match intended download'
>
> Sounds like the new meta-data you got after your 'yum clean all' was bad (ie.
> does not match the packages on any other mirror). Try pointing yum to a
> trusted mirror and re-run the clean all.

*ALL* of the public mirrors are broken WRT these two files.  Should I
just point at the the *master* CentOS server?  (I am not sure if the
CentOS team would really like that idea...) *I* am not able to maintain
my own mirror (probably a really bad idea over dialup...).

> It could be something else also but the packages you pull down does not match
> the checksums in the meta-data. Less likely reasons for this includes an evil
> proxy, bad RAM, ...

And it seems *I* am not the only one having problems with these two
files, which suggests that bad RAM is unlikely.  Esp. since it is
specificly repeatable with exactly these two files and if I exclude
these two file, yum is happy to do all of the other updates without
problems (well, two other packages fail to update due to failed
dependencies and are skipped via --skip-broken).

It seems like there is a major snafu somewhere -- it is not just a
random mirror here or there not being up-to-date, but more of a
wholesale problem -- are we *sure* the metadata on the root server is
not broken somehow?

For now, I am just going to exclude device-mapper and net-snmp-libs
until I hear that the metadata has been checked / fixed.