[CentOS] is it possible to resive /var online?

Sun May 2 20:36:32 UTC 2010
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Brendan Minish <bminish at minish.org> wrote:

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is it possible, safely, to resize /var while a server is running? I
> > urgently need to resize a full 2GB /var on a running server which is
> > located at a remote location where no one can get to it for 2 days?
> >
> > The system runs on lvm.
>
> Growing on line EXT3 file systems on LVM has always worked ok for me.
> shrinking needs to be done off line but growing on line File systems has
> not given me any trouble to date.
>
> I expect that the likelihood of problems with this is proportional to
> the distance from your current location to the server though ;-)
>
> regards
> Brendan

Hi Brendan,

I've also safely grown LVM volumes online, but /var is a bit more trickey
since a lot of stuff runs straight from it .So I don't want to attempt this
if it's going to break the whole system.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com