[CentOS] upgrading to a minor release 4.1 to 4.2

Mon May 17 16:20:08 UTC 2010
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 5-13-2010 9:37 PM sheraz naz spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> I need to upgrade a system running 4.1 to 4.2, but before I do I want to
> list out all the packages that will be updated/installed/removed. I can
> run up2date -l to get a list of updates but does that show packages that
> need to be installed and removed as well or just the updates?
>
> Second, how would I go about upgrading 4.1 to 4.2 instead of 4.8 (i.e.
> latest update).
>
> Unfortunately I don't have access to centos 4.x at the moment.and
> googling just centos 4.1 to 4.2 is not bringing up relevant information.

That would be like changing the dirty oil in your car for some oil that is
only slightly less dirty. Your system would be only slightly less vulnerable,
and a risk. If the system is isolated from the internet, you MIGHT be safe.
But if it touches the wild wild west of the online world, you are just another
hacker target just waiting to be found.