[CentOS] Addressing outgoing connections to a specific interface

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Nov 6 17:42:01 EDT 2010

On Nov 6, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Bob McConnell wrote:

> But I still wonder if you are unique in finding this address
> collision,
> or do others also have the same problem? If it is widespread, then it
> should be solved by the people managing those devices.

Nah; one of the prominent use cases for NAT on Cisco routers is
linking between two overlapping networks. (see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f30.shtml

This happens when companies merge, for instance, and both of them used
the same or overlapping RFC1918 networks; happens a lot with and (mostly in the and, not so much in (which then becomes a
popular pool to NAT the overlappers to).  Judicious NAT and split DNS
help solve the problem until things can get renumbered.  Large
networks never do get renumbered, and NAT between enterprise networks
lives on.

IPv6 includes a large block of ULA addresses to hopefully reduce
collisions of this sort for non-globally-routed addresses.