[CentOS] Recycle Bin disappeared (GNOME, CentOS 5.5, 32 bit)

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 21:59:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I installed and ran  gconf-editor.  The trash-icon-visible was
>> > checked. Anything else I might try, to get the Recycle Bin back onto
>> > the Desktop? TIA!
>>
>> I don't know of any other way to make the Trash icon visible/invisible
>> in gnome. After making sure the visible option is checked, have you
>> tried re-login (or restart the computer) ?  Also check to see if your
>> nautilus is not broken:
> ----
> Try this on for size: Gnome Only!!!!!
>
> $USER="your_user_name"
>
> cp /usr/share/apps/systemview/trash.desktop  \
> /home/$user/Desktop

($user should be $USER in that last line ... but I'm skeptical of that
suggestion having the correct effect, because I can see the Trash on
my desktop without having a trash.desktop file present in the Desktop
directory.)

Misc. things that come to mind ...

It's possible to rename the Trash icon.  Are you sure it's not there
and just called something else?

In gconf-editor, did you try toggling trash-icon-visible to off,
saving, then toggling back to on and saving again?

Install the "cog" package (available from rpmforge) and look at the
"Nautilus" tab.  Try toggling the trash icon option from there.