[CentOS] Re-export an NFS mount from another machine for roaming profiles

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Nov 10 13:06:16 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> In my office I have a server running CentOS 5.5. I have Apache+PHP+MySQL running
> on that server, and I'm exporting /var/www/html, so I can mount it on my main
> desktop with NFS.
>
> Server : grossebertha
> Desktop : babasse
>
> [root at babasse:~] # mount
> /dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
> /dev/sdb1 on /Disque2 type ext4 (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
> grossebertha:/var/www/html on /home/kikinovak/Sites type nfs
> (rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,addr=192.168.1.252)
>
> Now I'm thinking about configuring a few roaming profiles here with NIS/NFS,
> using 'babasse' as my main machine. In that case, I would export babasse's
> full /home to the local network, and then configure authentication with NIS.
>
> I wonder if it can be a problem when one of the directories, in that case
> /home/kikinovak/Sites, is already an NFS mount. I can't really figure it out,
> but I guess I vaguely fear some situation similar to the one displayes in
> "Being John Malkovich", where John Malkovich enters the secret trapdoor to his
> own thoughts.
>
> Thought I'd better ask before doing something silly.

NFS is not going to be happy about exporting a nfs mounted file system
-- actually it just won't do it. If some machine foo mounts
babasse:/home as /nfs/babasse/home, /nfs/babasse/home/kikinovak/Sites
will be an empty directory.  Machine foo would have to mount
grossebertha:/var/www/html on its own.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com