[CentOS] RHEL 6 Officially Released

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Nov 11 15:12:58 UTC 2010

On Thursday, November 11, 2010 09:57:58 am Timothy Murphy wrote:
> John R. Dennison wrote:
>
> > I think it's a fair bet to say it will be at least 4-6 weeks
> > out.
>
> When it comes, will I be able to upgrade by "sudo yum update"?

Given that the upstream sources from which CentOS 5 was originally built are Fedora Core 6 vintage, it would be like trying to go from Fedora 6 to Fedora 12+ in one fell swoop.

I don't even upgrade from one Fedora to the next (or one Debian or Ubuntu, either, as I've seen that break badly before).  I keep my data on a separate partition (or multiple separate partitions in the case of servers) and do fresh reinstalls, mounting my data back in the right place once done.  On my laptop, I'm still running the same /home that I ran in RedHatLinux 7 beta days....