[CentOS] Best way to configure proprietary NVidia driver on CentOS ?

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 19:26:05 UTC 2010

On 15/11/10 10:21, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010, John Doe wrote:
>
>> I use dkms-nvidia-x11-drv and it works fine between kernel updates...  While
>> I know kmod is said to be better, last time I tried it, I failed to make it
>> work.  Maybe I will retry kmod later...
>
> I'd previously had an identical experience to yours with kmod-nvidia, but when
> I recently tried it all worked without a hitch.  dkms-nvidia from rpmforge is
> just too far out of date now really.

The dkms driver is deprecated in favour of the elrepo kmod-nvidia driver.

If you have problems with the kmod-nvidia driver, please do subscribe
and post to the elrepo mailing list and someone will be more than happy
to assist you. Most problems are likely caused by not properly
uninstalling any previous incarnations of the nvidia driver, be it dkms
or the NVIDIA installer.

Thanks.