[CentOS] upgrading Centos-Xen when version 6 comes along

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Wed Nov 17 16:02:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Digimer <linux at alteeve.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 10:39 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> So, do I understand this corret: RH6 won't have (native?) XEN support
>> anymore, which obviously means CentOS won't have it either?
>>
>> Have anyone used both XEN&  KVM before? What are your experiences with
>> either, in comparison to each other? We've been using XEN for about 4
>> years now, and only use CentOS as our server platform. I'd hate to
>> move to Debian or OpenSuse just for XEN, and I don't know KVM at all.
>
> There will be no *official* support for Xen dom0 in RHEL6 and it's
> derivatives. That said, there is already work under way to get dom0
> support into RHEL6. I'm personally working on a tutorial now, and I know
> a few people are working on the kernel.
>
> Though, right now, the focus seems to be restoring official dom0 support
> into Fedora 15, so it will be a little slow getting into RHEL6.
>
> I expect that Michael Young's Fedora 12 kernel will recompile fairly
> easily onto RHEL6 as both are 2.6.32 based. I hope to test that tonight
> or tomorrow. As for comparing KVM to Xen, I am also working on some
> benchmarks as I truly don't know which is faster. What I can say, at
> this point, is that the differences are structural more than anything.
> Personally, I like the idea of have a minimal "host OS" as seen in Xen.
> Though I don't have any hard reasons backing that up yet.
>
> Once I finish my benchmarks, I will post them to the CentOS-virt mailing
> list. I'm still hoping to have numbers by the end of this weekend,
> assuming I don't run into too many problems getting Xen dom0 running.
>
> --
> Digimer
> E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
> AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com
> Node Assassin:  http://nodeassassin.org

Thanx Digimer,

Just out of curiosity, are you part of the CentOS development team?
Maybe the Wiki hasn't been updated with your info yet?

Would you mind posting your findings to this list as well?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com