[CentOS] DNS update system-config-network GUI

Thu Nov 18 07:09:09 EST 2010

Box is fully updated CentOS 5.5 (32 bit). DHCP is from the ADSL modem After I update the DNS settings and restart the network,
the DNS changes do not hold. I have tried using this GUI, as a regular
user, after giving the root password, and, also, logged in as the root

When I begin, the Primary DNS is shown as the IP of the
ADSL modem. I move that IP to the Tertiary DNS and insert the Primary
and Secondary DNS IP's I want to use. Then, I save the file, quit, and
restart the network (service network restart). I see messages that the
file has been saved and suggesting that I restart the network or the

The DNS I want to use is that of OpenDNS.com and I saw it work,
briefly.Then,it stops working and when I launch the
system-config-network GUI  again, I see it has reverted to the
original configuration, with only the Primary DNS of (the
ADSL modem) shown.

Questions: The "DNS Search Path" is blank. Is there something I should
insert there?

If it appears that I am using the system-config-network GUI properly,
what configuration file can I modify, to make these DNS changes hold

TIA!  Lanny