[CentOS] nspluginwrapper rpms on x86_64? (was: firefox. java. 64 bit. bleah!)

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 21 13:10:05 UTC 2010

Mike Fedyk writes:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Lars Hecking
> <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > ??Possibly. Or possibly not. On a closely related topic, can you comment on
> > ??whether or not it's a good idea to install the nspluginwrapper rpms on x86_64?
> > ??They seem to be fundamentally broken.
> >

> I don't think you need it anymore with FF 3.6.

 It's broken regardless. Try this: install Oracle's java and link the plugin
 into /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins. Run firefox and go to about:plugins. No
 java in sight. Then close firefox and, as root, link the java plugin into
 /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped. Run firefox again and go to about:plugins.
 No java. Close firefox and look at /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped; the
 java plugin link is now gone.

 There are several unexpected features here. First, the firefox wrapper uses
 .../plugins-wrapped instead of .../plugins if mozilla-plugin-config is
 found, i.e. nspluginwrapper is installed. So no matter what you think you're
 installing into .../plugins has no effect whatsoever. Secondly,
 mozilla-plugin-config removes the java plugin from plugins-wrapped and it is
 unclear why - in typical Linux fashion, there is no documentation on what
 exactly it does, how it does it, and there seems no way to configure it.
 Third, why is mozilla-plugin-config messing around in system dirs in the
 first place when a user runs firefox? Here's the answer:

$ ll /usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 60432 Jul 17  2008 /usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/plugin-config
$

 SUID? WTF? This is on CentOS 5.4 btw, but the firefox wrapper hasn't changed
 in 5.5.

 Essentially, this behaviour renders all the well-meaning firefox+java setup
 guides useless. And unless I'm mistaken, nspluginwrapper is needed for 32-bit
 binary blobs like flash and adobe.

 Next, I haven't yet successfully managed to get java to work on x86_64 with
 the 32-bit browser. Installing the 32-bit plugin from the corresponding jre
 doesn't seem to be enough.

This message and any attachments may contain Cypress (or its
subsidiaries) confidential information. If it has been received
in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message.