[CentOS] best way to start and shutdown programs in CentOS?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 20:10:06 EST 2010

On 11/21/10 6:19 PM, Kill Script wrote:
> I have a Java program that I want to start up with every boot, but I'm unsure
> how to do it.
> There are two bootup scripts that start manually (script1.sh and script2.sh),
> and when the server gets shutdown, we have another script that we run
> (shutdownscript.sh) so that the DB does not get corrupted.

The RedHat/Centos way of doing things is to have init scripts in
/etc/rc.d/init.d that take at least start, stop, and restart as arguments for
each program that should start automatically.  Then for the runlevels where you
want them to start you have a symlink where the name starts with S and the rest
is a number to make it sort alphabetically into the order that things should
start in /etc/rc?.d (where the ? is the runlevel).  Likewise add links starting
with 'K' in the levels where the process should be stopped.    There is a
convention for comments in the scripts so that 'checkconfig program on' can make
the links for you.  Look through some of the other scripts to see how they work.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com