[CentOS] Router for SOHO network - hardware considerations

Luigi Rosa lists at luigirosa.com
Mon Nov 22 02:05:47 EST 2010

Niki Kovacs said the following on 22/11/10 07:51:

> Is there anything you could especially recommend for this job? (I'm not
> afraid of getting my hands dirty, BTW :oD)

Consider a type of hardware that needs to be "always on" for a long period of
time maybe in a dirty and hot environment. Also the availability of long time
vendor support is an important issue.

When I needed this type of hardware for similar missions, I found that the
cheapest solution is an entry level server of Dell or HP. They are very silent,
compact, well supported by CentOS and they can be purchased without
pre-installed OEM software.

Both have some BIOS options that you can set to lower power consumption.

Just one thing: keep in mind that HP ProLiant 1xx series has ony 1 year of on
site warranty, compared to 3 years of other ProLiant, at least in Europe.

- --
+--[Luigi Rosa]--

This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.
       --Memo della Western Union, 1878
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)