[CentOS] Word Perfect [Was: Novell sale news?]

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Nov 23 18:36:57 UTC 2010

On 11/23/2010 12:49 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:
> WP users *LOVED* reveal codes as it allows people to see exactly
> what's going on under the hood, and even fix some things when the
> files get out of whack.  I answered the phone one time, and the
> opening from the caller was ``I want Reveal Codes''.

Well, sorry, but I'm 'lured' into this thread now. I tried to resist.

WordPerfect at one point in time was pretty much the defacto standard
word processor... at least in the Windows world. This is a prime example
of Microsoft's not playing fair. They started giving away Microsoft
Office on just about every new computer with Windows pre-installed.
Slowly, WordPerfect slipped to second and now almost oblivion. Further,
if anyone has looked, there is no upgrade path to Office 2010, but
instead you must buy the full version. So, we have gone from free to
kill off (almost) all competition to one of the more expensive software
suites. During this time, it has pretty much become a necessity in the
business world, as everyone sends around Office filetypes. Crud, even
certain Cad packages require Word to be installed if you want to use a
spellchecker in your drawing. At the same time, to me, the Office suite
has become on of the worst 'bloatwares' on the market. Yes, there are
legal, medical, bookwriting and all sorts of templates and functions,
but what most people need is simply a WordProcessor. Yes, I still have
Perfect Office installed on my Windows system and I very much prefer it
over Office. Yes, reveal codes is one of the reasons, but I don't feel
it is bloatware. It has what I need and it is where I can easily find
it. Also, Quattro runs circles around Excel in data handling and ease of
use. Just try out the Quattro formula builder and you'll wonder what
Microsoft was thinking when they built theirs for Excel.

OK, sorry... but this is more of a Microsoft bashing and Perfect Office,
along with many other innovations have been purchased and buried by M$.
I hate how they use 'Explorer' for their products. They are 'settlers',
not 'explorers'.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502