[CentOS] slow network throughput, how to improve?

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 09:02:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Yes, I used scp as a quick simple test. What would give me better
> performance though?

Well, anything that doesn't encrypt would be worth a shot.

Here's a basic scp to /dev/null
scp /tmp/tempfile othermachine:/dev/null
tempfile                                      100% 1000MB  37.0MB/s   00:27

Compare that with reading the same file over a basic NFS mount:

$ dd if=/nfs/tempfile of=/dev/null
1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 10.3707 seconds, 101 MB/s

If you've got slow processors you'll find that scp -c blowfish is noticeably
faster, but the faster the cores are, the less you'll notice an improvement.

jh