[CentOS] CentOS vs. RHEL vs. Oracle Linux ?

rainer at ultra-secure.de rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Nov 24 09:20:11 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> I've been contacted by a local training center specialized in Oracle
> databases, to train a group of four administrators to use Linux. They're
> supposed to use Oracle Linux (more exactly "OL5"), which I understand is
> some specialized version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I think they offer you a choice of kernels.
Their own kernel has performance enhancements.

It's also supposed to be cheaper in maintenance than RHEL.
But AFAIK, it's a re-engineering of RHEL in the same way CentOS is.
Just with commercial support (and geared towards running Oracle stuff).

I just looked and at the most basic level (patches only) it costs
94€/year/system.

Does anybody know how fast they implement the fixes from upstream?

Rainer