[CentOS] New list ?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Nov 24 16:24:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:47:39PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Thoughts on getting a new list started up ?  Should it be
> centos-sysadmin or centos-infra ? Are we going to then restrict it to
> admin/infra related chatter ? in which case, does the eyeball density on
> this list reduce for that sort of content ?
>
> How about the politics and news stuff that gets posted to this list.
> And how would those things be addressed with the new admin focused list ?

I like the idea of a catch-all offtopic list--the objection raised that
"there exists a list where this is on-topic" means that a) one has to
find this list, b) one has to join this list, and c) one has to learn
the local conventions on this list, all before posting something you
think might be relevant.  Whereas, if there is a "centos-offtopic" list
or similar, which is very likely a high proportion of centos readers,
you don't have any of these concerns (well, unless you go completely
nuts like "how do I find an S&M club in Sochi?").

Beyond that, what would the topic(s)/topic limits of the new list(s)
be?  One potential proposal:

centos-admin: tech topics that are not directly related to CentOS
(Niki's Oracle Linux question would fit here)

centos-offtopic: any other random runaway threads or non-tech topics

We on the centos list need to be disciplined to move threads to the
appropriate list when they get offtopic for centos (this means not
relying on KB to intervene, but suggesting a move ourselves if we see it
before someone else does) if we do go ahead with new lists that are not
directly on-topic.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us