[CentOS] Optimal VPN

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Nov 24 17:46:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
>tony.chamberlain at lemko.com writes:
>>
>> I am looking for the optimal VPN. Well it doens't have to be that elaborate.
>> Just the best VPN. We currently have some customers using PPTP, some using
>> openvpn, some using Cisco Any Connect and there are a few others.
>>
>> So my question is, if you have control of both ends (client and server)
>> what is the best VPN to use? There are not too many requirements, but a
>> big one is
>>
>> The VPN must return the same IP address to the same user each time
>>
>> That is there must be a specific IP address assigned to a user/password
>> combination. pptp does not really do this but I wrote sort of a backend
>> (or maybe frontend? ;-) ) to change the IP address assigned based on a
>> login and password. It is extra stuff I would prefer not to do though.
>
>OpenVPN can do that (see their commercial solution as well).

We use OpenVPN for most things, and pptp (poptop) for connections
where the OpenVPN client's aren't available (e.g. iPad, iPhone,
iPod Touch).

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

In free governments the rulers are the servants, and the people their
superiors & sovereigns." -- Benjamin Franklin