[CentOS] CENTOS 5.5 X86 continue get "out of memory" error?????

cpolish at surewest.net cpolish at surewest.net
Thu Nov 25 07:06:11 UTC 2010

> On Nov 24, 2010, at 6:27 PM, mcclnx mcc wrote:
> > This server used to run under CENTOS 3.9 X86 and No problem.  Due to application can not use CENTOS 3.9 we need upgrade to CENTOS 4 or 5.
> >
> > If I re-install it and use CENTOS 4.8 X86, will problem gone or not?

You may find that CentOS 4.8 x86 with the hugemem kernel
will work for you. CentOS 5 no longer supports
the hugemem kernel.

>From the release notes:

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/release-notes/as-x86/
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 includes a kernel known as the hugemem
kernel. This kernel supports a 4GB per-process user space (versus 3GB
for the other kernels), and a 4GB direct kernel space. Using this kernel
allows Red Hat Enterprise Linux to run on systems with up to 64GB of
main memory. The hugemem kernel is required in order to use all the
memory in system configurations containing more than 16GB of memory. The
hugemem kernel can also benefit configurations running with less memory
(if running an application that could benefit from the larger
per-process user space, for example.)

--
Charles Polisher