[CentOS] CENTOS 5.5 X86 continue get "out of memory" error?????

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Nov 25 08:43:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 07:39:05PM -0500, Robert Heller wrote:

> > Thnak you for answer.
> >
> > We can NOT use X86_64 due to application NOT support 64 bits.
>
> You can run 32-bit applications with a 64-bit kernel.  CentOS / RHEL
> installs the 32-bit shared libraries along with the 64-bit libraries.
>
> You can also install xen (or kvm) and run 32-bit slave (virtual)
> processes, with reasonable amounts of memory.

Also if you want to go for custom "hacks"..

Install 32bit CentOS 5, and then manually install 64bit kernel.
So all the userspace is 32bit, only the kernel is 64bit.

This allows you to use all the memory without problems.

You might have problems with some tools that need to talk
to the kernel.. iptables, open-iscsi, etc..

-- Pasi

: "CentOS mailing list" <centos at centos.org>