[CentOS] PE850 Interrupt conflicts on CentOS 5 and onboard ethernet and pci-e serial

Dan Irwin

dan at jackies.com.au
Thu Nov 25 23:34:59 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have an interrupt conflict between a two port pci-e serial card and
the onboard ethernet controllers in a PowerEdge 850.

I'm running kernel 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5PAE with bios revision A04.

In every instance, the two serial ports have been allocated the same
interrupts as the two ethernet controllers.

I have tried many kernel boot options, including acpi=off, pci=noirq,
acpi=noirq.

When I enter the bios, I can see the same interrupts allocated to the
serial ports and ethernet controllers. Attempting to change the
interrupts manual causes both a nic and a serial port to both change,
both to the same interrupt.

I have even tried disabling onboard usb and serial with no change.

I'm beginning to think the pci-e serial card is broken under linux. I
have a similar card running on a PE850 under Windows Server 2003 and
there are no such conflicts.

Here is some output from lspci -v :

02:00.0 Serial controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd OX16PCI954 (Quad
16950 UART) function 0 (Uart) (prog-if 06 [16950])
       Subsystem: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd Unknown device 0001
       Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 137
       I/O ports at ecf8 [size=8]
       Memory at feaff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
       I/O ports at ece0 [size=16]
       Memory at feafe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
       Memory at feafd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

02:01.0 Serial controller: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd OXCB950 Cardbus
16950 UART (prog-if 06 [16950])
       Subsystem: Oxford Semiconductor Ltd Unknown device 0001
       Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 145
       I/O ports at ecf0 [disabled] [size=8]
       Memory at feafc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=4K]
       I/O ports at ecd0 [disabled] [size=16]
       Memory at feafb000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=4K]
       Memory at feafa000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]
[size=4K]

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
Gigabit Ethe
rnet PCI Express (rev 11)
       Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01b6
       Memory at fe5f0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
       Expansion ROM at <ignored> [disabled]
       Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
       Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/3
Enable
-
       Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
       Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
       Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
Gigabit Ethe
rnet PCI Express (rev 11)
       Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01b6
       Memory at fe3f0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
       Expansion ROM at <ignored> [disabled]
       Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
       Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/3
Enable
-
       Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
       Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
       Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel

I'm fairly stumped, and I'm about ready to try different serial
hardware.

Any clues from the experts on this list?

Regards,

Dan

------

dan irwin

it manager

jackie's wholesale nurseries p/l t/a

zoomgarden

56 coutts drive burpengary qld 4505

email dan at jackies.com.au

tel  07 3888 2481

fax 07 3888 2530

Jackie's Legal Disclaimer:

1) This email is confidential and may contain legally privileged

information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not

disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received

this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and

delete the document.

2) All emails sent to and from Jackie's Wholesale Nurseries Pty Ltd. are

scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate

subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all

parties concerned.